Monday, December 1, 2014

The Love of My Young Life


My love of buildings started when I was just a child. The brick, the creaky staircases, the musty smells...they all intrigued me. My first (building) love was my elementary school.

Located in the village of Caledonia, Ohio at a dead end street once sat an impressive structure of what was then consider the epitome of modernity. One of the very first school buildings to have indoor plumbing coursing through its structure, Caledonia High School was an elite Ohio school.

The structure that I came to adore replaced an existing structure in 1910. Yes, two years before the Titanic sank my future school was wowing locals. The massive, but simple, building was in a rectangular shape and had intricate designs woven into the brick and mortar. The designs juxtaposed the building’s squat shape and made it seem sophisticated and graceful. And to me, it was all those things and more.

Caledonia High School was no longer a high school when I entered it in the third grade. By that time it had been converted into the second, or upper class, building of the elementary school. In the fifties a second building was built perpendicular to the older building. It was a one level building that housed our “new” gymnasium and held the Kindergarten through second grades.  It pales in comparison to the original building, but still was a great place for me to run rampant.

The older building was now the home of all the third, fourth, and fifth grades, the library, the cafeteria, the music and art rooms, and the principal’s office. If you’re wondering where sixth grade was (because when I went to school sixth grade was still elementary and not middle school yet) it was in the back in a modular-type building and was the ONLY place that was air conditioned in the whole school with the exception of the principal’s office. Those in charge always have the comfort of amenities.

Anyway, the old building was beyond beautiful. Upon entering the doors, visitors would be overcome by the large wooden staircase leading them to the second floor. On either side of the staircase were doorways that led down to the girls’ bathroom and art room (on the left) and the boys’ bathroom and music room (on the right). Up the stairs were the third grade class rooms, the cafeteria and kitchen, and the principal’s office. Going up even more wooden stairs that ran both sides of the massive entry way opening one would stumble upon the teacher’s lounge (which was a glorified walk-in closet of sorts) at the in between landing. Up one last flight of stairs was the third level. Here were the fourth and fifth grade classrooms, some computer rooms, and the library. Every room on this floor was unique. There were built in coat closets, uneven floors that created giant dips and waves, skinny corridors, and secret doors connecting rooms.

My elementary school building was unique and priceless. There was so much history there and I wish that I could have been more aware of it than I was. However, I was more aware than most of my classmates and I asked a lot of questions. One thing I found out was that our cafeteria was once the gymnasium when it was a high school and I was told that underneath the floor was a pool (not sure if that’s true. I imagine an It’s a Wonderful Life scenario). So if I peeled up the cafeteria linoleum that I was standing on I would have found a wooden gym floor and then under that the remnants of a pool.  Also in the cafeteria were large cartoon art pieces that depicted our Viking mascot battling wits with the other local mascots. These pieces were from the school’s earlier days and yet they were still being used as decoration. They were hilarious (to an eight year old) and I remember reading them over and over at lunchtime. I recognized how awesome my school was while I was still able to enjoy it –and for that I am eternally grateful.

Despite trying to dedicated my lunch money to save the school, my love was torn down in 2003 as River Valley Local Schools built new buildings all over Marion County. My elementary school was a part of a River Valley elementary school trio and all the schools were torn down. The middle school and high school were left vacant and still sit eerily on land that was deemed to be “cancer-causing.” Some say that is why River Valley built all new schools – bad publicity and all that jazz. Either way, I graduated from the sixth grade as the last class at Caledonia Elementary School. And to this day I swear they waited to tear it down until I had to leave it (unwillingly) anyway.

I couldn’t watch the demolition, although we were all invited. Even in the sixth grade I knew that I could not watch them tear down something I loved so dearly. I knew that I was never going to be the same again and maybe this was my first real heartbreak. I had no control and I couldn’t stop it (I definitely thought about chaining myself to something inside to stop the demolition). Had I been able to drive, I probably would have done it! The wrecking ball devils were kind enough to leave a pile of bricks on the side of the road for all who wished to have a souvenir. I will never forget the night my mom drove me to get a brick. It was pitch black and it covered the horror temporarily. As we approached, her headlights illuminated my worst dreams. Into view came a pile of bricks and rubble – and an empty lot.

I still drive back to see the empty place where my love once was. It is extremely strange and there is nothing to do or see, but I relive the past I cherished so much. I’ve trampled through the snow and mud looking for brick fragments and I’ve sat on the barren land and imagined the building surrounding me. It’s all very odd, but then again, all love is.

Caledonia Elementary School. Forever. 



Check this guy out! He knows a good backdrop when he sees it!

No comments:

Post a Comment