Wednesday, December 10, 2014

#9


 Lets Get Rowdy!!!!

Ok, Ok…I’m sure you are all totally sick of hearing about my Octagon paper. But I just wanted toad upon something I talked about in my presentation. At the beginning of my slideshow I talked about how Heidelberg University is the home of the student princes. This seems like such a ridicules mascot. However, this made me think about how wright state got our mascot of rowdy. He always seems like such an obscure mascot for a university named after the two me who invented the plane.
After doing a little digging I found out some local history about our very own, rowdy the raider. So the original school colors were voted upon just like the name for the university in 1970. The colors and theme were both chosen after two NFL teams that were doing well at the time. The green bay packers (colors) and the Oakland raiders. (hahaha does anyone really remember when the raiders were good?!). ANYWAY! This was eventually changed to be a more market friendly image of the wolf that would propel our image into the future. Again this seems like marketing going above the heads of what the student body wanted. Sound familiar Wright Brothers University. But in the end, we came out of it with a pretty cool mascot. I am not sure how relevant this topic is in the larger scale of local history. But it is just something I have always wondered and finally had a reason to look up. Cocktail knowledge!

http://www.wsuraiders.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=205213920


No comments:

Post a Comment