Wednesday, December 10, 2014

The First Appointment



My name is Theodore E. Lilly. If you're wondering what the E. stands for... keep wondering. I own a dental practice in Dayton, Ohio at Flat 203 1405 N. Main rooms 340. It’s a modest practice but I have always managed to make a living.  In no small thanks to my loyal customers of course. One in particular might catch your interest. Orville Wright. Not only was he a one of my most faithful customers but I also considered him a close friend.
I met the gentleman in 1924, well after he became famous. His sister, Kathrine, and he hosted a Dayton Oberlin Alumni group at Hawthorne Hill. I attended. It was a beautiful home and their hospitality was superb. I remember well the picture the two of them made slipping amongst their guests with friendly conversations.
A few days later I received a call at the office.
“This is Orville Wright’s secretary. Mr. Wright would like to make a dental appointment with you.”
I had told some friends of my visit to Orville’s home so I knew that this was one of their ideas of a joke.
“Sure, of course, and why would he want to do that?” I said.
“He needs some dental work and has heard that you are a good dentist.” She said.
“And here I hoped that wouldn’t get out.” I replied.
“Mr. Wright would like an appointment.” She said curtly.
It was here that I realized it was not my friends but was indeed Orville’s secretary. Well I very quickly got that sorted out. It was a few days later when he came to my office room. In the twenty some years of experience I’ve had with Orville as my client I have theorized how he got there. Orville was only ever late once. To which he apologized with a satisfactory explanation of ground squirrels clogging his garage drainage. He was also never early.
 I always suspected that he would come early and wait downstairs until the right time came. Then he would come into the reception room, ring the bell, fold his overcoat and lay it over the chair arm, and then sit down. That last bit I can vouch for having seen many a time.
For this first appointment I came out into the reception room and personally apologized for being smarty with his secretary.
“Yes she told me about that.” Orville said.
I gathered by the twinkle in his eye and the tone of his voice he enjoyed her experience. After a longer acquaintance I learned that she was not one to be smarty with. Hence his amusement.
  I remained Orville’s dentist from 1925 to 1948 excluding my war service years. I could tell you many a story but I’ll end on this. He was a good friend and a fine gentleman.


Bibliography
Lilly, Theodore. Reminiscence of the Wright Brothers Box 47 File 8 Ms-420 The Engineers          Club of Dayton. The Wright State Special Collections, Wright State University.
Williams’ Dayton Directory. 1927 The Wright State Special Collections, Wright State University.

No comments:

Post a Comment