Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Post #6


#6

With all the talk in class, and with my own project on The Octagon, we have been talking quite a bit about saving historic landmarks. I want to tell the story about the Seneca country courthouse in Tiffin Ohio. I remember that this was a hot button topic in my hometown almost the whole time I was growing up. I remember this ongoing dispute of distorting this building that was not being used. There were two groups of opinions about this place. On one hand, many people felt very strongly about the structure and saving it. Until now I didn’t realize that it was on the national register of historic places.
On the other hand, many people were arguing that crime was taking place in this building that stood vacant and was dangerous, and many argued it was an eye soar to the town. I remember drawing the building for art class trying to make an argument to save of the building. However, I can see both sides of this argument. This issue was put to a vote for many years. Each year the polls voted to tear down the building. Yet, demolition was delayed constantly. This makes me think about if trying to save a structure is always the right thing to do? Should we save these old structures just because they are old? Or should there be some kind of significant story behind each building saved. In that case, should the qualifications for a national register site be stricter? I don’t know what the right answer for this argument is. However, It does raise a few questions about these historic sites


http://historichouseblog.com/2012/01/03/a-shame-courthouse-on-national-register-in-being-torn-down-in-seneca-county-oh/

No comments:

Post a Comment